Well, after many months of heart-pounding anxiety over which films would stay in the race, falter out, or sneak in, on Tuesday, the Oscar nominations were announced. While there were a few surprises, most of them were great surprises.
1. The Best Picture field turned out to be almost what I expected, although I didn't expect Darkest Hour & Phantom Thread (which I was very happy to see it nominated) to get in. However, I'm sad to see that I, Tonya & The Florida Project were not nominated. Like I've said before, they need to have a straight 10 nominees for Best Picture. None of this wishy-washy, between 5 & 10 nominees stuff.
2. The Best Director field is the best in years. Christopher Nolan, Guillermo del Toro, Greta Gerwig, Jordan Peele & Paul Thomas Anderson? How can I choose the Best Director in this category? It's too tough!
3. The Best Actor field had some surprises. James Franco, Golden Globe winner for The Disaster Artist, was not nominated, probably due to the sexual misconduct allegations, which was the right decision by the Academy. However, taking that slot was Denzel Washington for his horribly offensive performance in the awful film Roman J. Israel, Esq. He did not deserve that nomination at all. That slot should've gone to Tom Hanks for The Post.
4. The Best Actress nominees are exactly as I predicted.
5. The Best Supporting Actor field had some big surprises. Neither Armie Hammer nor Michael Stuhlbarg were nominated for Call Me by Your Name. However, Woody Harrelson & Sam Rockwell were both nominated for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
6. I am definitely glad to see Lesley Manville was nominated for Phantom Thread. However, I wish Holly Hunter got nominated for The Big Sick.
7. The Best Original Screenplay nominees are exactly as I predicted.
8. The Best Adapted Screenplay nominees were almost exactly as I predicted, except for one great surprise: Logan, which became the first superhero film to get a screenplay nomination.
9. Baby Driver's nomination for Best Film Editing is so well-deserved.
10. I'll never understand how The Boss Baby got nominated for Best Animated Feature over The Lego Batman Movie.
So, these are my 10 big reactions to the Oscar nominations. Don't forget to watch the Oscars on Sunday, March 4 at 8pm EST on ABC!